Thursday, May 7, 2015

An old recipe book has surprises

On another matter, recently I visited a friend in a nursing home in Ducktown, TN. While there she and I began talking recipes, like I usually do. As we talked, she asked me if I knew about a cook book produced by the teachers and faculty (even down to the janitors and lunchroom staff). It was a school cookbook from Epworth School. The school is actually in Epworth, Georgia. It still stands today and is still in operation in some form today.

Well, she asked if I ever made banana pudding and of course I had. Then she asked if I had ever
make lemon pudding- substituting lemon pudding for banana. I can't remember if she said she still used bananas or not. But I have to agree, this one was a new one for me. When I see her again I will ask her for more information.

After I visited her, I called another friend who has a home up here, but lives elsewhere and asked
her if she had ever heard of that cookbook. She said no and asked why. I explained about the recipe and she said she just read about it, or one similar to it. Hers had bananas in it, but lemon pudding and meringue. Sounds awful to me, but to each his own. She has collected recipes for years and was
just sitting going through a bag of them. I love doing that.

I also collect cookbooks, especially old ones, and loose recipes too. My collection has overgrown my space, but I can't make myself stop, I'm addicted. I'm afraid I don't want to be cured either.
Have any of you ever looked at some of the old cookbooks? Look at the drawings or pictures and maybe even the writing. I have some that were handwritten, then printed. And that particular book
has drawings of all the historic homes in the town. This is from my hometown, and most of the homes are still there today!

Do you need help with a recipe? Or do you need to know how to do something? Let me know...


No comments:

Post a Comment